We are looking for enthusiasts who have the desire and ability not only to study, but also to film and publish videos and reviews of our new device. We also hope that the administration of your forum will assist in this event. New features will roll out throughout 2021 and we look forward to building a community to modify and use our new device. We will try to be as open as possible to third-party developers, and bring the maximum number of functions to the web api.
We offer a new revolutionary device that has the potential of changing both the operator and non-operator market of satellite TV (and terrestrial TV soon). The effect of the appearance of our device will be similar to the appearance of the first smartphone. The current familiar receivers will become as archaic as push-button cell phones. Our device has many benefits for both buyers, sellers and especially operators.
What do we offer? We have combined a receiver, sat finder, spectrum analyzer, measurement equipment, chromecast device, video streamer, etc. in one device.
Offer #1. In its traditional sense, the satellite receiver is a device for linear TV streaming on a single TV set. We propose to change the receiver’s role and to make it the bridge between the TV set and smartphones/tablets/computers in the same household, while maintaining the ease of use. What does that mean?
In our view, besides the core functions of viewing a single channel, recording, media player, or IPTV function, the receiver should:
1. be able to forward content not only to the TV set but also to any device connected to the local network (streaming of content to the local network)
2. support a function of using a mobile device as remote control
3. be usable without a TV set
4. have streaming options - play internet media content (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) on any TV set from a mobile device (as mobile devices clearly commonly used for content search, and excel at that)
5. play videos from various websites and online cinemas on a TV set using a mobile device
6. stream any content available on the local network, such as personal media
7. provide open web-API for web-interface customization. (If we want our device to be universal – we must allow the opportunity to extend and customize it.)
In many countries, the television is for the older population. We want to add TV to media devices, to extend the offering to younger generations.
Another concept we introduce is the multifunction of the equipment. We rather aim at a new type of the device, combining the receiver with a set of R.A.M.F. (Receiver-Analyzer-Meter-Finder) tools.
Thanks to the R.A.M.F. device and the modified LNB, we make the dish installation extremely simple.
The installation would consist of the following steps:
1. Choose the satellite from the list in web-interface.
2. Choose the satellite dish type. (Every company can make its own list. If it is a new dish – there will be another simple process.)
3. Configure the right skew. (User will be guided through the process, and their progress will reflect on the smartphone screen in real time.)
4. Configure the right dish elevation. (User will be guided through the process, and their progress will reflect on the smartphone screen in real time.)
5. Turn left or right. (When the satellite is found its name will appear on the smartphone screen.)
The third concept is the easy-to-use remote control and monitoring system for the receivers. It is achieved by continuous monitoring of the receiver based on periodic report generation. What are we able to monitor?
8. Output voltage
9. Measurements for reduced voltage in the cable
10. 22kHz attenuation
11. Measurements for antenna vibrations and their effect on signal quality
12. Measurements for interference
Hence, we can remotely detect a problem and offer the user a do-it-yourself guide to fix it, or to send a report to the operator or a technician. This has huge implications for operators.
1. Connecting all smart devices and TV sets in a household in a single ecosystem (excluding Apple products in the first half of 2021). Any content can be played on any device.
2. Ability to tune the antenna without the help of a technician.
3. Ability to detect and debug issues in satellite system without the help of a technician, using the provided reports and guides that are included with the device.
4. No need to call and describe the problem to the support service, they would know the issue beforehand.
5. Ability to receive many functions in one affordable device.
Items #2, #3 and #5 lead to significant cost savings for consumers.
Benefits for the Operator
1. Many times lower operator costs for customer support
Substantial amount of issues will not require involvement of the service provider since the end user can investigate numerous issues on their own (and in some cases fix them on their own)
We can develop step-by-step guides for diagnostics and resolutions. At each step of the process, the program will analyze the current status of the system and suggest next steps.
Also we can incorporate custom algorithms provided by your customer support service in our fix-it-yourself instructions. If a customer cannot solve the issue using self-guide, they can follow up with customer support via chat or a call, or email their issue to the operator. When forwarding the issue to the service provider, the full context will be preserved, including the log history and steps performed by the customer to fix the issue. This model will lead to significant savings in the call-centers.
If a customer cannot solve the issue using self-guide, they can follow up with customer support via chat or a call, or email their issue to the operator. When forwarding the issue to the service provider, the full context will be preserved, including the log history and steps performed by the customer to fix the issue. This model will lead to significant savings in the call-centers.
2. The ability to configure the receiver remotely by the customer support
3. Fewer on-site visits by technicians and reduction of time spent on each visit
4. No need to call and describe the problem to the support service, they would know the issue beforehand
5. The opportunity to use less-skilled personel for a number of operations
Less-skilled personnel can be appointed to configuring or changing a receiver, changing the LNB in case of easily accessible antenna, checking connections, or cable wiring.
6. The ability to monitor installed equipment
The operator will receive information about issues even before the customer reports issues. If a call is made from a smartphone that has the app installed, or the phone number is linked to a record in the customers database, the call can be immediately forwarded to a specialized department instead of to the common support line. This will bring down the length of the support calls, and dramatically improve the user experience and customer service.
7. Accurate estimates for work orders prior to on-site visits
If a problem occurred with the LNB or antenna configuration — the customer can take a photo of the issue and attached to the report. That way, operator will determine the level of effort and the cost of the work.
8. Eliminating cost inflations by third-part service providers and contractors
Operator will have context about the problem and the type of issue prior to the technician’s visit. Therefore, technicians will not be able to inflate the cost of work they perform.
9. Savings in the service centres
Because of the upfront diagnostics, only defective or failed devices will be serviced. When it’s clear that the equipment is defective, a new equipment can simply be shipped, to replace the failed one. If you deal with vendors for equipment, that will allow the oversight over their services, and will improve transparency.
10. Incorporating technical details in work order invoices
For example, it can be implemented that without a good signal, the invoice will not be generated at all. If a customer waives suggested work items, an act can be generated with corresponding clauses stating that the customer is aware of the existing issues and does not object to the provided service.
11. Third party service control
A database can be maintained for all sub-contractors and third-party service providers, including the details about performed work, their rates, and warranty periods. This feature might especially be useful for providers sub-contracting work to third-party technicians and customer support.
12. Control over the quality of hardware from hardware suppliers
The smartphone app can be enhanced with a bar code reader to be used to scan the equipment as part of installations. In the long run it will provide insights into the quality of equipment from different manufacturers and different shipments.
Benefits for the Brand Owner
Note: not all items below are applicable in the case of encrypted channels and binding the card to the receiver.
1. Currently, all sellers make a similar offering. We offer a new game-changing product that is easy to market.
2. You will have the ability of selling the equipment and service at retail stores. The return rate should go down dramatically due to a much simplified antenna setup and configuration process, and due to provided diagnostics and DIY guides out of the box.
3. You will have the ability of selling multiple receivers to a single client. For example, only one receiver is connected to the antenna, but additional receivers will allow to use additional multimedia options.
4. The receiver can be used even without a connected TV set or a monitor, as it will provide a web interface. This will be useful for a new type of customer who might not have a TV set but have a need for constant or periodic DVB-content.
5. You gain competitive advantage in comparison to IPTV for mobile devices. Streaming function from the receiver is independent from the speed of the internet or the number of connected devices, and has a superior quality of picture.
6. If you provide ongoing service to customers with your equipment:
- you will have fewer support issues; even if/when an issue arises you will have the means to diagnose it remotely and to offer instructions on how to resolve it
- you will have complete quality control of any work performed by technicians, with a report generated upon each work completion
- you will no longer need to test defective hardware; this will lead to cost savings at the service center
- it will be very easy to repair our devices because we can give you the same testing system which was used for factory production
7. DVB-content viewing aside, we offer an alternative to Android-based IPTV box. You might agree that any Android or iOS can suffer from bugs in the operating system, lacks support for older models, is prone to incompatible updates of the applications they run, and shows slowness and degradation of service after several years. That leads to the necessity of regular updates of equipment. There isn’t much of a choice for smartphones in particular, let’s be honest. However, is that really justified for IPTV boxes? Let’s ask another question -- what device is more convenient to use for media content (for example, YouTube): smartphone/tablet/computer, or the IPTV box? We think you might agree that the answer is the smart device. Why search for content on an Android box if you can easily find it on a smart phone and forward link to the receiver (especially since so much content is being shared via text message and email these days)? In this case, our device basically plays the role of a bridge between all your smart devices and the TV set. The quality does not suffer with time, and it’s much easier to use. Your customers will appreciate it.
8. We can help you to promote it. The majority of receivers have somewhat lower quality hardware for cost-saving purposes (ex. lack of additional protection against usb or HDMI overload, lack of cable short circuit prevention, mono-sound AV, etc.). If you would like to know more, we can point out in detail the shortcomings of a particular competition model of your choice. Also, we can explain what potential problems these shortcuts would cause for end users of the equipment.
Our work principles
1. A special approach to familiar functions. For example, we assume that the client does not have to wait for the EPG to download from the satellite. The EPG for a week must be stored in the receiver's memory. Imagine how much more pleasant it is for the user to immediately see information about a movie, a sports game, etc. In the same way, for streaming, picons for at least one operator should be stored in the receiver itself. The channel list must have a function to skip unavailable channels. Etc.
2. Maximum software openness. We will provide the maximum number of viable options for creating third-party software, in the form of browser extensions, web interface, applications, etc. In other words, we expect our approach to lead to the creation of a community.
3. Maximum HW quality while maintaining the R.A.M.F. devices in a reasonable price range. If you have a deal with procurement – please send me a letter.
4. Deep processing of the Chinese reference software and writing additional programs. Some of these problems have already been resolved, some will be resolved in the Q2-Q3 of 2021. For example, the Montage chips (which we are currently using) do not have a GUI redactor. That is, even a small fix for the Chinese menu causes huge problems. The solution to this problem is planned in Q2 of 2021 by writing our own software that will allow any buyer to create their own interface.
At what stage is our project?
The online presentation of our product is scheduled for January 29, 2021. The presentation will include the following features:
- Dish installation using our equipment
- Creation of a detailed report with signal parameters
- Setting up our device without a TV set
- Our device usage without a TV set
- Browser extension for Android to play media from the Internet
- Presentation of our implemented testing system for production in China. It can be used at service centres
- Web-API for creating your own web interface, applications and programs
Tentatively, the below items will be presented (depending on the speed of software development):
- Diagnostics of malfunctions in the satellite system
- Sending a message and a fault report to the interested service organization or operator
At the moment we have a limited number of samples to send. If you have interesting ideas and suggestions, please write to me.
CMO, NTT Technologies