Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)

Tandberg TR-2055 - AC present in voltage path

Hei,

I am a proud owner of a Tandberg TR2055 my dad bought in NYC in the 70's..when it travelled to Madrid, where it has stayed in our home since. This receiver is quite an impressive piece of hardware, as it is essentially identical to the TR 2075 (they share about 90% of components) it only offers less speaker outputs (2+2) and 65W per channel instead of 75W.

Unfortunately, it developed a buzz (AC leak inside the voltage path) alongside channel dropout at lower volume - problem with the volume potentiometer (the widespread left channel dropout problem). I have personally serviced the unit, first with a general connector/board cleaning and fuse and lamp renewal and then trying to pinpoint the buzz problem origin (as I am awaiting a spare potentiometer from a faulty 2075 to solve the channel dropout).

I am pretty sure the buzz problem lies in the Prog. Selector /Volt. Regulator board, the big golden capacitor C610 had leaked with age so I recapped it with a fresh 1000uF. The buzz was still there, although the new C610 is working fine. So I metered to test the ground, which was perfect. And then metered for AC voltage in the path ahead of the rectifier, and there was my buzz! (45.3V of AC current leaking to the Prog. Selector Board, and thus to the rest of the unit)

What I wanted to know it's if anyone has had a similar problem when repairing a Tandberg, as this buzz is proving difficult to fix. I am sure some capacitors are out, but can't manage to find which ones (I am suspecting C613,C614,C615 in diagram A7 in the manual). Also resitor R616 (variable resitor) has blackened with age and is not working prob because of the AC leak. Does anyone know where to find this parts? I am even considering sending it back to Norway for servicing! Does anyone know a good professional over there still working on this units?

Many thanks,

Carlos

Expert Niels Nielsen sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Jun 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Did you try adjusting bias?
    Unfortunately I am not much of a technician, so I cant help you there, but, here in Norway we have a Tandberg Shop, its a place where you can buy spare parts. A search for TR2055 is here:
    Tandberg Radio Shop
    Its in norwegian, but you can use altavista to translate is you wish.

This is the Tandberg historic netsite, Norsk Radiohistorisk Forening and they have a "radio doctor", so maybe you can ask him? Here is the e-mail address: mailto:tor_fander.lende@chello.no
    I think you can get a service manual there also, but I assume you have one already.

These can service your receiver if you wish, but ask ahead regarding price etc:
    teletor
    Utlåns koffert for Wall-plate

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Thanks for all that info! I really appreciate it. Actually, I can't believe they sell whole replacement boards! I found the two boards I need to fix my Tandberg:

Tandberg Radio Shop

Tandberg Radio Shop

When I tried to place the order unfortunately it told me:
    Beklager men vi leverer ikke til ship to Spain!

I cant believe they don't ship within Europe! I will need to find a work around anyway, I am so close to fixing the buzz now!! Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Carlos

Expert Niels Nielsen sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Jun 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    You should also visit alternativaudio.com, this is a forum for vintage gear, lots of info there also.
    Well, you need to work out a deal with someone here that might be prepared to ship the items to you, and whom you then pay....but try and ask via the Tandberg Radio Shop mail, just maybe you are lucky.

Stikkord for denne tråden

Regler for innlegg

• Du kan ikke starte nye tråder
  • Du kan ikke svare på innlegg / tråder
  • Du kan ikke laste opp vedlegg
  • Du kan ikke redigere meldingene dine
  •