Panasonic's new BD60/BD80 Blu-ray decks offer great AV performance plus internet acce

Sponsorer:
Takk Takk:  0
Like Like:  0
Side 1 av 2 1 2 SisteSiste
Viser resultater 1 til 20 av 27
    Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jan 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    1 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)

Panasonic's new BD60/BD80 Blu-ray decks offer great AV performance plus internet acce

Using a hi-def Blu-ray player to watch YouTube clips is like buying a Bugatti and never going over 40, but that hasn’t deterred Panasonic from providing access to the ubiquitous video site through its latest models, the DMP-BD60 and DMP-BD80.
    It comes courtesy of Viera Cast, which headlines the Japanese giant’s latest range and uses the deck’s Profile 2.0 internet connection to deliver targeted sites directly to your living room TV.

But in reality Viera Cast is a mere sideshow. The main attraction remains Blu-ray playback, and both the BD60 and BD80 pack an enviable arsenal of processing power courtesy of the brand’s proprietary UniPhier chip – the picture engine developed in conjunction with Panasonic Hollywood Labs to enhance hi-def pictures and handle core video duties such as upscaling, diagonal processing and cadence detection.

Up-market entry-level BD
    The £250 BD60 (pictured right) is the entry-level player, while the step-up BD80 adds a few extra features for a £100 premium, but frills aside they share the same basic DNA. Whipping both out of their bulky flight cases – now Panasonic’s container of choice for all press samples – the two decks boast solid if not heavyweight build quality and look identical, although the BD60 is a fraction slimmer.The mirrored fascia look is a far cry from the curvy opulence of the Samsung BD-P4600 or the chunky robustness of the Pioneer BDP-LX71, but these Panasonics still scream hi-tech.

The main difference between the two players is the addition of 7.1-channel analogue outputs (pictured right) on the BD80’s back panel, catering for legacy amps without HDMI inputs (or people who simply prefer using analogue connections). The rest of the sockets are the same – HDMI v1.3, component, optical and coaxial digital outs, plus an Ethernet port for hooking up to the internet.

On both front panels is an SD card slot and newly-added USB port. You’ll have to slip a 1GB card into the former to store downloaded BD Live content, while the USB lets you play DivX, MP3 and JPEG files. It’s a shame neither deck offers built-in local memory or Wi-Fi – both found on the Samsung BD-P4600 – but I’d be surprised if they’re not on Panasonic’s roadmap.

Under the bonnet, both models feature 148.5MHz/12-bit video DACs and 192kHz/24-bit audio DACs, although the BD80 places a greater focus on audio with a High Clarity Sound feature that shuts down analogue video circuitry and theoretically offers cleaner music playback than the BD60. Key to both players’ picture performance is the P4HD processing found on previous Panasonic players, which can process 15 billion pixels per second and optimises every single one of them, while colours are boosted by the presence of PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus and 4:4:4 signal technology.

Elsewhere the decks tick off most of the Blu-ray basics, including 1080/24p output, Deep Colour/x.v.Colour support and playback of any disc you throw at it. Also on board are Panasonic stalwarts like noise reduction, Dialogue Enhancer and 96kHz Surround Re-Master, designed to enhance the quality of any audio source by replacing data lost in the compression process.

Fast but not fastest
    Thankfully, Blu-ray disc loading times get quicker with every generation, but I was disappointed to discover that the BD60 and BD80 are much slower than the current speed kings Samsung and LG, whose latest players get a movie on screen in around 30 seconds. However, compared with the tractor-like Pioneer players, Panasonic’s one minute tray-to-display time seems at least tolerable. Less forgivable is the HDMI output’s tendency to reset itself every time you access the setup menu or load a disc, resulting in an annoying picture blackout for a few seconds.

Aside from that, both machines are smooth operators, boasting bright ‘n’ breezy onscreen menus and a wonderfully laid out remote. And within the user interface is one final difference between the two players – the BD80 features a new geek-friendly playback information window showing details about the current disc, including the video and audio codecs and bitrates, plus the current HDMI settings.

The aforementioned Viera Cast functionality is seamlessly integrated into the player’s GUI. Hit the dedicated button on the remote and a splashscreen offers a choice of YouTube and Picasa. In YouTube you can select video by category, such as Most Viewed and Featured Videos, or you can search for specific content using a virtual keyboard. Videos are listed down the left and played on the right of the screen, and you can expand them to full screen, although the picture quality ranges from tolerable to terrible. The Google Picasa portal works in a similar way, and photos can be viewed in glorious high-resolution.

Web-enabled features like this are set to be all the rage this year, with LG’s BD370 also offering YouTube streaming, and it’s a great way of extending Blu-ray beyond the realms of physical media – though the fact that you can’t watch any of YouTube’s hi-def clips in their native form is a let-down for such HD-centric products.

Breathtaking video performance
    When it comes to Blu-ray picture tweaks, serious cinephiles don’t get the same meticulous attention to detail as the Pioneer BDP-LX71 for example, but both decks still offer plenty to play with. Dip into the onscreen display banner and the User setting allows you alter brightness, sharpness, colour and gamma, plus the levels of 3D and block noise reduction applied to the picture. There are also three presets – Soft, Fine and Cinema.

I settled down in front of The Dark Knight – a Blu-ray disc jam-packed with extraordinary visuals that provide a stern test for any deck – and was astounded by the depth and sharpness that the BD80 brings to the table. The full screen IMAX scenes are simply breathtaking, particularly the shot of the Joker’s bus driving away as Gotham City Hospital explodes – P4HD’s detail boosting and smooth edge rendering leaves the entire image looking boldly defined and luxuriously lucid.

Solid, impenetrable blacks pepper the screen from start to finish, while the rare flashes of bright colour look rich and inviting. For purity, sharpness and depth, it beats players like the LG BD370 and Samsung BD-P4600 hands down, and only recent Pioneer players like the BDP-LX71 and BDP-51FD can match it.

And it’s encouraging to note that the same tests on the BD60 garner identical results, backed up by an equally mesmerising performance with The Dark Knight – making it the best Blu-ray player in its class.

Hi-res audio
    Both of these players are comfortable with any audio format you throw at them. Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio can be bitstreamed to a compatible amp via HDMI, or decoded into uncompressed PCM beforehand without losing the hi-res sound quality.
    I linked both players up to the Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver and selected Hellboy II’s fiery DTS HD Master Audio track for its mixture of crunching battle scenes and eerie ambience, and in bitstream or PCM the energy and detail of the soundtrack is communicated in no uncertain terms.

When rigged up using analogue ports, the BD80 does a great job with both Hellboy II 's DTS-HD MA and The Dark Knight’s Dolby True HD soundtracks. Channel separation is clean, rear effects are smoothly steered and dialogue is distinct, and I was particularly impressed by the breakneck car chase through Gotham City, which the BD80 orchestrates with exhilarating vigour. It sucks you right in and spits you out the other end, battered but buzzing.

Switching to CD, I spun the 1997 remastered release of Miles Davis’ jazz masterpiece Kind of Blue and the BD80 proves to be a skilful music source, beautifully articulating the trumpet solos, double bass and shuffling drums of Blue In Green. I’ve heard it handled better by the BDP-LX71, but for the money it’s a decent performance. The BD60’s stereo outputs fire out an enjoyable sound too, but the BD80 edges it.

Conclusion and ratings
    Overall the DMP-BD60 and BD80 are formidable players that blend comprehensive features with top-drawer pictures, and Viera Cast is a neat addition to the Panasonic Blu-ray family. But unless you specifically need 7.1-channel analogue outputs, we suggest opting for the £250 BD60 as the BD80 probably doesn’t offer enough of a jump up in features or performance to justify the premium.

Panasonic DMP-BD60 HCC verdict 4/5
    Panasonic DMP-BD80 HCC verdict 5/5
    Exclusive: Panasonic's new BD60/BD80 Blu-ray decks offer great AV performance plus internet access | Home Cinema Choice

Intermediate hygen sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    May 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    1 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

Expert
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    hva med SA-CD og DVD-A ?
    Og BD80 for analoge utganger?

Intermediate wotg sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Apr 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    To ting. God awfull design og ingen backlit fjernkontroll??

Medlem siden
    May 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    1 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Google oversetter ikke altid perfekt så alt blir ikke 100%
    Postet til de som ønsket en tilnærmet Norsk oversettelse istedenfor en helside engelsk

Vi har jo egen del til det
    http://avforum.no/forum/avforum-english/

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2009
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

720p

Kan denne spilleren sende ut 720p bildeformatet ?
    Da jeg nå har en pioneer bdp lx51 hjemme på test, så kan ikke denne spilleren det. Å jeg er ikke interessert i å bytte ut kanona mi enda, da det ikka passer inn i budsjette.

Medlem siden
    May 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    1 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Ja (BD60/BD80 ) (se feks svensk manual side 31 (total side 75)
    http://tda.panasonic-europe-service....rqt9404-1h.pdf

Ja 720p på stort sett alle spillere fra leverandører utenom Pioneer
    (Pioneer sender 720p men bare der video i utgangspunkt har 720p 24 og ut igjen som 720p 60 --spilleren scalerer ikke ned eller opp til 720p oppløsningen)

De nye BD spillerene fra Pioneer (BDP LX52 , BDP 320 , BDP 120) har heller ikke 720p

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2009
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

BD80 som DTS HD og True HD dekoder

Har BD80 såpass bra Audio dekodere at den er et supert valg som HD kilde i et oppsett med 7.1 inngang ? Da jeg bruker en Rotel rsp 1068 forforsterker .

Intermediate tomsavini sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Jun 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Krysser fingrene for at den kan gjøres sonefri...
    DET hadde vært noe.

Mulig Oppo'en blir bedre, men ser ut til at den ikke kommer med det første

Intermediate OleM sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av tomsavini
    Krysser fingrene for at den kan gjøres sonefri...
    DET hadde vært noe.
    Det kan den. Det er også tidligere omtalt på dette forum.

Medlem siden
    Jun 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av OleM
    Sant, sant....
    Men tenkte på noe som ikke gjorde spillern ca dobbelt så dyr....
    Er vel for mye å håpe på

Intermediate DrErling sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Oct 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Terningkast 6 og "Best i Test" i juni-utgaven av Hjemmekino > her

Medlem siden
    Oct 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av OleM
    Er dette hugget i stein? Har fått med meg at DVD-avspillerdelen kan gjøres sonefri, men stemmer dette også for BR? En link er gullfint!

Edit:
    her er i alle fall de originale firmware-oppdateringene lagt ut.

DrE

Medlem siden
    May 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    1 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Rart om Icos modifikasjon selges
    Bluraymods.com - Our Products
    eller ferdig modifiserte spillere selges på nettsider Panasonic DMP-BD80 Region Free Blu Ray DVD Player Multi - eBay (item 280357389229 end time Jul-11-09 18:54:43 PDT) om man faktisk kan gjøre de regionfree uten en hardware endring.

At man kan få en tastekombinsajon til å fungere på DVD delen ser jeg ikke bort fra men tvilende til BD.

Fikk BD80 terningkast 6 for alle fancy tilleggsfunksjoner ?

Medlem siden
    Jun 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av DrErling
    Terningkast 6 og "Best i Test" i juni-utgaven av Hjemmekino > her
    Så den testen.
    Det som undret meg var bildedelen.
    Leste om Panasonic 80 og Pioneeren, som er de som er mest aktuelle for min del.

Topp prioritet for meg er;
    sonefri på blu-ray, gjerne og dvd
    best mulig bilde og lyd på Blu-Ray.
    så, under det, bra på avspilling av DVD (oppskaleringen)

Testene var fine de, men føler ikke at jeg fikk 100% avklaring på det jeg lurte på.
    Så vidt jeg husker fikk Pioneer og Panasonic best og samme score på lyd. Litt usikker her men... Tenker da på blu-ray/dvd.

Men, under selve testene sto det svært lite om bildeforskjell på blu-ray avspilling.
    På tross av det så kom Pioneer ut med med bedre score på bilde...

Sto liksom ikke noe om at det var bedre bilde på blu-ray avspilling på Pioneer i selve testen, bare i resultatet på slutten...

Så. Sikkert ikke store forskjeller, men, er det noe forskjell på bilde/lyd Pioneer vs. Panasonic montro?

Drømmen er seff denne;
    Når Oppo, og nye Sony'ene kommer, en test som tok for seg bilde/lyd på de forskjellige spillerne.

Medlem siden
    Oct 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av hygen
    Rart om Icos modifikasjon selges
    Bluraymods.com - Our Products
    Ok, hardware-mod ja. Det høres mere sannsynlig ut på BD-delen.

Sitat Opprinnelig postet av hygen
    Fikk BD80 terningkast 6 for alle fancy tilleggsfunksjoner ?
    Ja, det ser ut som om de ikke har testet en blu-ray spiller, men en Youtube-spiller... De sier jo at:

På Blu-ray er selvsagt forskjellene mindre. Det er nå en gang slik at det bildemessig ikke e rstore forskjeller å spore mellom spillerne i denne prisklassen når man benytter HDMI. Bildekvaliteten er rett og slett på et så høyt nivå at man skal være rimelig petimeter for å se forskjeller. Men igjen så ligger forskjellene i de ekstra mulighetene som spilleren har til å justere bildet. Derfor er det mulig å dra litt mer bildeinformasjon ut av denne spilleren en hva som er mulig med Samsungs utfordrer.
    DrE

Medlem siden
    May 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    1 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av DrErling
    Ja, det ser ut som om de ikke har testet en blu-ray spiller, men en Youtube-spiller... De sier jo at:
    DrE
    Har vel en anelse om det (har ikke lest testen) men lest mange erfaringer der de nye modellene er betegnet som lik på bilde med de forrige 35 og 55 men en anelse bedre analog lyd i 80 fremfor 55.

Greit at de bruker poeng i tester der man leser testen og begrunnelsen for utfallet men disse poengene brukes i salg å vil da ikke fortelle hva som er vektlagt som bra eller mindre bra for en kjøper.

Pioneer BDP 320 bør ha best bilde/lyd i den testen om ikke Panasonic har laget så bra spillere at de overgår tidligere Pioneer BDP 51FD , LX71 , LX08 og kommende BDP LX52 (men det kan de vel ikke om nivået er som 35/55 (som ikke er dårlig men ikke sammenlignbart med Pioneer )

Har sett jfinneru og Hjemmekino som noe av det mere seriøse BD tester man kan lese men fokuset på multimedia spiller kan vel kanskje overskygge BD spiller og dens kvaliteter til DVD , CD som etter min mening burde vektlegges og det andre som +

Active jokke2k3 sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Oct 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Whee! Da ligger min BD60 på posthuset og venter. Så ikke noe poeng i å kjøpe BD80 eller noe fra Pioneer siden jeg ikke har bruk for analoge utganger eller betale det dobbelte for en teoretisk forbedring i bildelkvaliteten jeg sikkert aldri klarer å se.

Skal bli artig å sammenligne med PS3 (som forsåvidt gjorde en bedre jobb enn min HTPC på BD). Ikke minst DVD-skaleringen.

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2009
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Har endelig fått testa litt på min BD 80.
    Som er sammenkopla til min Rotel RSP 1068 analogt.

Pioneer ble uinteressant iom at jeg har bruk for 720 p til kanona mi, og kvalitetsmessig har jeg ikke sett noe særlig forskjell på denne og Pioneer 51.
    foruten størrelsen!.

Men jeg liker litt funksjoner og muligheter, så synest panasonicen ga mye mer for pengene. Og den er MYE kjappere enn pioneer!!

Så 3100 på nett ferdig levert synes jeg denne absolutt er verdt for min del vertfall.

Kan komme tilbake med litt erfaringer mår jeg har prøvd den mer, men nå er det for fint vær ute

Intermediate JD sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Apr 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av jokke2k3

Skal bli artig å sammenligne med PS3 (som forsåvidt gjorde en bedre jobb enn min HTPC på BD). Ikke minst DVD-skaleringen.
    Gi tilbakemelding raskt, da. Blir sikkert en god diskusjon ut av det...

Side 1 av 2 1 2 SisteSiste

Stikkord for denne tråden

Regler for innlegg

• Du kan ikke starte nye tråder
  • Du kan ikke svare på innlegg / tråder
  • Du kan ikke laste opp vedlegg
  • Du kan ikke redigere meldingene dine
  •