Sep 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)

Ny Toshiba DVD Oppkonverterer XDE-500 !

Toshiba har lansert en ny DVD spiller i USA med spesialformålet å oppkonvertere SD-DVD.
    Toshiba 'Breathes New Life' Into DVD with XDE(TM) Technology

"("Toshiba") today announces its new video enhancement technology for
    DVD with the introduction of the XD-E500. XDE, or "eXtended Detail
    Enhancement," is more than just DVD upconversion. XDE takes DVD picture
    quality to a whole new level. In addition to providing upconversion from
    480i/p up to 1080p, XDE offers user selectable picture enhancement modes
    that allow for greater detail, more vivid colors and stronger contrast that
    bring standard DVD quality closer to the HD experience. XDE technology lets
    consumers enjoy their existing DVD libraries in a whole new way.
    "

"Consumers have embraced the DVD format like no other technology and
    invested in large libraries of their favorite movies. As the market moves
    towards high definition, XDE lets them experience their existing DVD
    library and the tens of thousands of DVD titles in a whole new way," said
    Louis Masses, Director of Product Planning."XDE offers consumers a simple
    solution to add on to their HDTV purchase. XDE works with existing DVDs to
    deliver a near HD experience with enhanced detail and richer colors.
    Toshiba is delivering to consumers what they want -- a high quality
    experience at an affordable price."
    Dette er riktignok ikke "Super-Upcoverter" spilleren basert på CELL-prosessoren Toshiba annonserte på begynnelsen av 2008. Den kommer visst ikke i følge ryktene før til neste år.

Foreløbi sensus er at denne oppkonverterer bedre enn alle SD oppkonvertererne og like bra eller bedre enn SD-DVD oppkonverteringen i HD-DVD og BD spillerne.

(Selv om meningene er delte :-D , og at det er en del BD fanboys vi kjenner igjen fra formatkrigen som vil sloss mot alt Toshiba presenterer, selv om fanboysa er mer subtile nå. )

Prisen er $150 i USA, noe som ikke er særlig avskrekkende.
    Noen lansering i Europa er ikke varslet enda men jeg håper noen av dere som besøker IFA kan finne rede på dette.

Siden det vil ta flere år (om noen gang) alle filmer kommer på BD så vil kvaliteten på SD oppkonvertering alltid være interessant.

Her er noen flere meldinger og inntrykk av spillerens kapabilitet.

Toshiba promises better DVD upconversion with XDE technology - Page 2 - Digital Forum
    Well my Toshiba SuperUpConverter, re-named "XDE" came in yesterday [Fedex Next-Day], and needless to say, I wasted no time getting into some very extensive evaluations.

HARDWARE USED:
    Sony KDL-46XBR5, 1080P, 120hz, 24fps, HD Display
    Monster Cable 1000HD, 1-meter 10.2 Gbps HDMI cables
    Onkyo DV-HD805 HD DVD + UpConverting DVD player [Silicon Optix]
    Oppo DV-981HD UpConverting DVD player {Faroudja DCDi]
    Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD + UpConverting DVD player [Anchor Bay]
    Toshiba XD-E500 Upconverting DVD player [Cel processor]

WIRING:
    All devices were wired with identical HDMi cables,and the signal path was direct-to-monitor [no switchers]

SOFTWARE:
    Identical/twin-copies of the following HD DVD/SD DVD Combi discs...
    American Gangster
    Bourne Ultimatum
    Hot Fuzz
    Smokin' Aces

TESTING:
    Identical discs were placed in competing players, cued up to the exact same frame, and then started simultaneously. Switching between opponents could be conducted at will, and I frequently chapter-backed to watch a key element, color, edge, texture, color, or pan/tilt/motion sequence over and over again [ad nauseum].

I did not conduct these tests by myself. I dragged my poor brother into this mind-bending, eye-marathon, and he graciously sat there making his own observations, with the intention being, that a 2nd opinion would be rendered/posted for the group's consideration. Special thanks also to Bruce [my brother] for providing the 2nd identical/twin combi-discs that were needed to conduct fair SD DVD to SD DVD as well as HD DVD to SD DVD
    hardware performance evaluations.

FRAMING THE RESULTS:
    I gave some thought to how I would go about putting into words precisely what was revealed during this marathon session. In the end, I decided that a 1-10 scale would be used. Additionally, I'm going to frame the scale by defining what a "1" and what a "10" represents, in a way that you can relate to.

1= VHS Tape
    3= DVD at 480P, not Upconverted
    10= HD DVD or Blu-ray at full 1080P on a full 1080P display

RESULTS:
    Oppo DV-981HD UpConverting DVD to 1080P = 5
    Toshiba HD-A30 UpConvert DVD to 1080P = 5
    Onkyo DV-HD805 UpConvert DVD to 1080P [Reon Edge OFF] = 5.5
    Onkyo DV-HD805 UpConvert DVD to 1080P [Reon Edge ON] = 6
    Toshiba HD-E500 UpConvert DVD to 1080P = 8 [XDE ON]
    Toshiba HD-E500 UpConvert DVD to 1080P = 7.8 [XDE + CONTRAST ON]
    Toshiba HD-E500 UpConvert DVD to 1080P = 8.2 [XDE + COLOR MAPPING ON]
    Onkyo DV-HD805 HD DVD at 1080P = 9.7 [Reon Edge OFF]
    Onkyo DV-HD805 HD DVD at 1080P = 10 [Reon Edge ON]

VERBS, ADVERBS, ADJECTIVES AND WHATNOT:
    This industry is so ripe with exaggerated claims, creative interpretation of the numbers, and outright lies, that I'm almost afraid to put into words what the preceding numerical test results [clearly] reveal/indicate. Almost afraid, not... afraid. [subtle but important difference, as with the numerical ratings].

Let's do this arse-backwards [reviewers always make you read a lot of verbs, adverbs and whatnot before they generally say anything even remotely useful, or God-forbid, controversial... Stated simply, this Toshiba SuperUpConverter, which was renamed "XDE" absolutely eats/annihilates the Silicon Optix HQV Reon, and words can not even describe what it does to [formerly] world-class/award-winning UpConverters like the Oppo DV-981HD
    and the ABT-equipped 3rd generation Toshiba HD DVD players.

Look, unlike the big review sites... I have absolutely no axe to grind here. This isn't my business, it's my hobby, and I own...

(2) Oppo DV-981HD
    (2) Toshiba HD-A35
    (4) Onkyo DV-HD805

So it's not like I'm doing what human beings do... Trying to justify their prior decisions/investments and convince themselves/others that whatever they own is the right thing to own... I honestly don't give a crap...
    As I said the other day, let the chips fall where they may.

<NOTE: I snipped some comments about a c/net op-ed piece that hadn't tested the XDE>

Back to the SuperUpConverter...
    How good is it? OMG! This DVD player is a revelation! It greatly increases detail, but does not increase noise/artifacts. It was astonishing, and a little sad to watch this $149 player produce a picture that mas MUCH more detailed AND much cleaner than the Silicon Optix equipped Onkyo DV-HD805
    Normally when you increase "sharpness", you increase "noise" But there isn't the slightest hint of that happening with XDE. Yet it's not only the detail/sharpness that leaps ahead of any other UpConverter, it's everything! The color for example looks like you washed tobacco/nicotine off your screen when going from the Oppo DV-981HD, Toshiba HD-A35 or Onkyo DV-HD805
    to the SuperUpConverter. That's the thing... True high-definition video isn't just sharper, it's also got much better/more crisp color. But the Toshiba XD-E500 gives you BOTH the sharpness you expect from high-definition AND that crisp/vivid color!

What about side-effects, artifacts or problems? Frankly, I got eye-strain trying to find something, anything that the SuperUpConverter was getting "wrong" that the Silicon Optix HQV Reon was getting "right" The verdict? Nada. Whatever artifacts were visible on the XDE device were also
    present and visible on the other conventional UpConverters.

I know- I know- The $64,000 question...
    Is the SuperUpConverter a "Blu-ray killer"?
    Well, since I don't own a Blu-ray player, I can't really say. However, my opinion, based on evaluations of Blu-ray vs HD DVD [using a PS3 and a Toshiba HD-A35 on a 46" Sony XBR5 a few months ago] have left me with the very strong opinion that, assuming the same
    transfer/encode/film... There is no visual difference between
    Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Therefore, extrapolating on that previous
    test... I am going to say that, NO, THE TOSHIBA XDE/SuperUpConverter
    IS NOT a BLU-RAY [or HD DVD] KILLER.
    That being said... The Toshiba XD-E500 at all times looked like TRUE HIGH DEFINITION in terms of sharpness and color. It literally blew me away, and it is without a doubt the very best UpConverter I have ever seen. This player's radical new approach of analyzing 9 frames of video in real time is a quantum leap forward in upscaling mechanics that deserves some kind of major tech/achievement award. I want to repeat something to make sure you caught it... The Toshiba XD-E500 at all times looked like TRUE HIGH DEFINITION in terms of sharpness and color.

The bottom-line?
    If you own even 149 DVDs? You would have to be crazy not to invest a paltry $149 in a device that will in fact, raise them to a level of performance that would convince anyone that they were watching true HD video.
    What else can I say other than don't wait for DVD 2.0 which any marketing major will tell you is exactly one year away, and won't produce a picture any better than this! It will just have HDi menu's IF the Blu-ray gravy-train
    riding studios decide to support it... A very big if guys!

Where was I? Oh yeah...
    BUY THIS PLAYER as soon as you can find it for $149 or less...
    Do not buy it from Amazon... They are price/gouging and charging $30 over the manufacturer's list price! Circuit City offers it with free shipping for $149
    If anyone finds a better deal, please post it here at TBS because anyone with a decent-sized DVD collection definitely needs to own one of these DVD dream machines!

-Bill

Toshiba stubbornly launches the un-Blu-ray, XD-E500 DVD player

Eyes-on Toshiba's new XD-E500 upconverting DVD player - Engadget

Yes, Toshiba seems resigned to some sort of HD disc-free existence, as it continues to mope about HD DVD's loss to Blu-ray and refrains from releasing a player for the once rival format, but let's set all aside for the moment. We got a look at Toshiba's new XD-E500 in action, and we must say: it does what it sets out to do. Most consumers will see a visible quality improvement when playing their DVDs, particularly in the realm of sharpness. Toshiba's new filters are "intelligent" enough to spice up the grass while leaving the sky and clouds free of noise, and while the contrast and color filters are less necessary, many consumers will enjoy their effect -- even if video purists would scoff at such alterations. As for usability, it couldn't really be much easier to flip on and off the three different enhancements, but there's also no customization of those modes to speak of. This $150 player isn't in any way Toshiba's Blu-ray killer, but thankfully the company actually seems to recognize that, and plans to market to Joe consumer who doesn't want to fork over the dough for a Blu-ray player or doesn't want to invest in a brand new video library, and won't be insulting videophiles' intelligence with claims to the contrary. If you're looking for something to magically make DVDs look like HD, this isn't it, but it bests Toshiba's best upconverter easily, and we'd venture to guess it's probably tops yours as well. All that said, Toshiba will have in store demos of the player at major retailers, and we'd highly recommend taking a gander for yourself before you take the plunge.
    Et par linker til:
    Toshiba launches XDE upconverting DVD player - UPDATED!

AVS Forum linker;
    New Toshiba XDE-E500 DVD Player

Toshiba xde500 vs oppo 981

XD-E500 Owners thread.

Intermediate MaW sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Aug 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Noen som veit når denne kommer til Norge?

Den er jo akkurat det jeg ønsker, en dvd-spiller som lager gull av gråstein

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Hadde vært gøy om man kunne fått en sammenligning av denne og Denon 3930.
    Gjerne i sammenligning mot en dedikert videoprosessor.

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av MaW
    Det er jo nettopp det Oppo 983H gjør :-D

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av AndyMcnebb
    Hadde vært gøy om man kunne fått en sammenligning av denne og Denon 3930.
    Gjerne i sammenligning mot en dedikert videoprosessor.
    Ser det er en god del brukererfaringer ute på Amazon nå: Amazon.com: Toshiba XD-E500 Upconverting 1080p Extended Detail DVD Player: Electronics
    Flere av dem sammenligner med Reon VX baserte spillere som 2930, og sier den nye Toshibaen er overlegen. 2930 vs 3930 skal være et jevnt løp på bildekvalitet, forskjellen ligger i lyden, så dette ser mighty lovende ut for oss med lerret og mye DVD`er! :-D
    Litt kjeft for umoden firmware, siden den strekker 4:3 til 16:9, men dette kan fikses etterhvert.

Intermediate hjalmarjalla sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Test av Toshiba XD-E500

UltimateAVmag.com: Toshiba XD-E500 Upconverting DVD Player

Toshiba XD-E500 Upconverting DVD Player:

Comparisons & Conclusion

My reference DVD player is the Oppo DV-983H, which costs $250 more than the XD-E500, but it also offers much more in terms of features and performance. Not only is it a fantastic DVD player, it also plays SACD and DVD-Audio discs, and it has a USB port for music, pictures, and firmware updates. Even without the added features, it's a better upscaling player with its Anchor Bay VRS processor. Its picture quality is superior to the Toshiba's with both test patterns and real-world material, which is worth every extra dollar. It delivers a sharper, more accurate picture without the ringing.

That's not to say the XD-E500 is a bad upscaling player, but it's far from ideal. First, Toshiba's promise of a near-HD experience with its enhanced picture modes doesn't deliver because they do more harm than good. Also, its inability to pass above-white and below-black and its stretching of 4:3 material are inexcusable at any price.

If $150 is the max you can spend on a DVD player, you may want to audition the Toshiba as well as other players in this price range. If you can stretch your budget above $150, there are better products that bring more to the screen.

Highs
    Decent DVD upscaling
    Fast navigation of discs
    Minimal layer-change delay

Lows
    Picture enhancements don't work as advertised
    Cheap build quality
    Poor remote
    Doesn’t pass above-white or below-black

Expert
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Lyd&bilde bladet har en test av denne i neste utgave som kommer 4/12.

Spennende, men er det bra nok (og bedre enn Oppo...)

Intermediate Msport sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Mar 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av asvaberg
    Lyd&bilde bladet har en test av denne i neste utgave som kommer 4/12.

Spennende, men er det bra nok (og bedre enn Oppo...)
    Spennende? Ja - i form av at Toshiba mener dette er veien å gå og gir nesten like godt bilde som BD. Om det er bra nok? Neppe etter hva man har lest i testen som er offentliggjort over her. Feks Oppo sin siste med anchor Bay og Denon 2930 ligger nok foran i markedet.

Blir liksom på en måte å forsøke å danne gull ut gråstein - svært få, om noen lykkes.... Jeg tror Toshiba ikke har lykkes.

Expert
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Spennende i den forstand at om spilleren får en lav nok pris kan den bli en "hit" - selv i disse blåstråle-tider.
    Så lenge Oppo ikke har god nok distribusjon i Norge (bare netthandel/egenimport) , by the way.

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Ser ut som det er forskjell på de tidligste utgavene og de som kom rett etter:

"Ever since HDTVs came on the scene DVD players have boasted they improve DVD to "HD" quality, most only delivered marginally better pictures at best. Thankfully recent players have come a long way offering some really exceptional pictures from a DVD source.

Given the history of up-processing players and the hype surrounding XD-E500 I couldn't wait to get my hands on this player. For comparison I used my best Up-processing player with Reon-VX HQV. As anyone who has one knows the Reon chip offers one of the best pictures available.

Wondering about the "Two" part of the title now? Well I didn't get carried away and buy two. What happened was the first player sent was defective. It was not obvious at first because I didn't know what to expect, but during the comparisons I and my 3 other testers noticed only a very slight difference over the Reon chip, so small it wouldn't be worth buying. I was about to write a scathing review, luckily I first contacted George, a fellow HD nut. He bought the XD the first day they were available and was surprised I was so disappointed. He then said I must have defective player because the XD blows Reon out of the water.

Long story short, I contacted Amazon and they express shipped a replacement. George was right it blows Reon right out of the water.
    The Picture is impressive, very impressive. The better the DVD transfer the better the picture.
    New movies like The Bank Job look extraordinary. It was difficult to remember that it was not a true HD picture.

Star War IV looked sharper than ever, the best I've seen outside the theater. The backgrounds of the ships, corridors, lighted buttons, and droids all had richer detail that really stood out. I should note while Star Wars looked sharper it was evident to me it was not HD especially in exterior shots. This probably has more to do with the age of the film, some of the flaws I noticed will probably be present in any release."

Har en Denon 2930, så om den virkelig "blows the Reon VX out of the water" så ser det uhyre interressant ut.
    Noen som vet hvem som selger disse spillerene?

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Jan 2009
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

Denne Toshiba spilleren

Sitat Opprinnelig postet av MaW
    Noen som veit når denne kommer til Norge?

Fikk lyst til å bidra med mine 2 cents,
    Kjøpte denne spilleren til min sønn nettopp. Brukes på en Thompson 61 tommer DLP bakprojeksjon.
    I forhold til den eldre Pio-spilleren må jeg innrømme at jeg fikk hakeslepp. Du verden for et bilde. Samtidig fikk lyden et skikkelig løft. Ikke det store lydanlegget; Kinaforsterker (HK) Pioneer og Sony gulvhøyttalere + sub. Men voldsom kvalitetsforbedring.
    Til prisen er denne dvdspilleren et funn, uten tvil.

Men nå er jeg da gammel lydentusiast som holder meg til vinyl, rør og Doxa.

Intermediate Doc.G sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Sep 2005
    Sted
    Steinkjer
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Jan 2009
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Riktig det du opplyser.

Har du i så fall gjort samme erfaring siden du forteller om dette?

Spennende å høre.

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Har selv denne DVD spilleren.
    Men når den står i off posisjon,så er den en liten lyd som kviner hele tiden.Høres ut som en liten flue inni.Man må da stå helt nærme den for å høre det.Men uansett,vil tro at det er noe som ikke skal være der.

Og ved feks når du spoler i en film,og så trykker play,har den klikket av og til ved å gå helt ut av filmen plutselig.

Tror jeg skal prøve å sende den i retur.

Intermediate Ultima sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Mar 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    1 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Ble litt nysjerrig på denne spilleren.

Siden jeg har ei stor DVD samling (+500), så går det mye i dette formatet fortsatt.

Nå kjøpte jeg en Blu-ray spiller nylig (Sony BDP S550) som er bra på DVD avspilling, men hvis denne gjør jobben enda bedre så er den interessant, ettersom den ikke koster særlig mye.

Jeg sitter ca 3m unna en Pioneer Kuro 5090, vil det være verdt å gå til anskaffelse av en Toshiba XD-E500 for å bedre DVD bildet ytterligere?

Noen som føler de vet nok til å gi en liten pekepinn? Dvs. noen som har rukket å få erfaringer med denne spilleren. Jeg ser det er noen linker til div. forum og tester i tråden, men slike forum er jeg alltid litt skeptisk til. Enkelte virker i overkant postitiv, hva nå dette måtte bety. Mistenker en del av brukerne har noe "spesielle" interesser.
    Sony KD 55X8509C | Denon AVR X6200W | Cambridge Azur 840W | Hegel HD11 | Cambridge Azur 751 BD | PS3| Tecnnics SL-Ma1| B&W 804 Diamond, B&W HTM4 Diamond, B&W DB3D, Dali Suite R0,8, B&W M1, Focal Dome | Apple TV |

Stikkord for denne tråden

Regler for innlegg

• Du kan ikke starte nye tråder
  • Du kan ikke svare på innlegg / tråder
  • Du kan ikke laste opp vedlegg
  • Du kan ikke redigere meldingene dine
  •