Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)

connecting two pre amplifiers to one power amp

hello,

i have a tube pre amp and a ss pre amp, i would like to connect them both to my power amp.

can i use double female splitters and just connect the two pre amps to it??

Of course I would just use one pre amp of each time but if I make a mistake would it be dangerous for the sistem to have both pre amps on at the same time??

thank you very much

Intermediate Ulf-B sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Mar 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av HPM-1100
    hello,

i have a tube pre amp and a ss pre amp, i would like to connect them both to my power amp.

can i use double female splitters and just connect the two pre amps to it??

Of course I would just use one pre amp of each time but if I make a mistake would it be dangerous for the sistem to have both pre amps on at the same time??

thank you very much
    Even if you turn off the preamp that is not in use, the proposed way of doing it - with just a simple set of splitters - may cause serious damage to both preamps. The output signal from either preamp may find its way into the output circuits of the other preamp - and that is potentially dangerous.

You should use some sort of switchbox - e.g. like this one: http://www.clasohlson.no/Product/Pro...x?id=156697175
    1) SB Touch m/iPad, Beolab 5
    2) SB Classic, Weiss DAC-1 MkII, Get-boks, Hegel HD11 DAC, Copland DRC-205, Primare DVD30, ML 326s, 2x Bryston PP 300 SST, ProAc D1, Amphion Impact 500 sub
    3) SB Touch, Benchmark DAC-2 HGC, 2x Bel Canto e.One Ref. 1000, ProAc 1SC, ProAc ER-1 sub, Denon AH-D7000

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Aug 2010
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    thank you, that looks like a solution but wouldnt such a device seriously decrease the quality of the sound?? i am not so looking forward to introduce that clas olson device in my system.... perhaps some other switchbox?

also , what if I get the signal from the tape output from the emotiva pre to one of the imputs on the ming da pre?

tank you very much for your time and help

Intermediate Ulf-B sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Mar 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    The Clas Ohlson example was meant to give you a general idea of what you should look for. There are many such switchboxes available - some are even supplied with remote controls. Don't worry about signal degradation. I have used similar, rather cheap, switching devices, and I believe you should have a well above average hifi to be able to detect any difference in sound quality.

Regarding your other idea - to connect from the tape-out output to the inputs of the other amplifer - ..... well, it surely would work - but why? You must turn on both amplifiers. Then you must connect all your sources to the Emotiva pre amp - which will operate just as an (expensive) input selector. The Emotiva pre amp will add none of its character to the sound - and I suppose that's why you want to use two pre amps instead of one - so again: why two pre amps?
    1) SB Touch m/iPad, Beolab 5
    2) SB Classic, Weiss DAC-1 MkII, Get-boks, Hegel HD11 DAC, Copland DRC-205, Primare DVD30, ML 326s, 2x Bryston PP 300 SST, ProAc D1, Amphion Impact 500 sub
    3) SB Touch, Benchmark DAC-2 HGC, 2x Bel Canto e.One Ref. 1000, ProAc 1SC, ProAc ER-1 sub, Denon AH-D7000

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Aug 2010
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    well, one of the reasons is so i can use the phono section in the emotiva pre, the other is that i dont have enough imputs in the ming da... but yeah, it is a much better alternative to use the switchbox... i am just not familiar with it.

I ll get myself one of those.

my main sistem consists of: thorens 146 w/ grado gold, ming da mc-7 pre, emotiva usp-1 pre, eletrocompaniet aw-100, pioneer hpm-1100 speakers. works fine, have allways wondered getting other speakers...

Stikkord for denne tråden

Regler for innlegg

• Du kan ikke starte nye tråder
  • Du kan ikke svare på innlegg / tråder
  • Du kan ikke laste opp vedlegg
  • Du kan ikke redigere meldingene dine
  •