Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av Svantekiller
    WINNER!!!!!
    Hm, maybe.

It could be that he has some major nulls in the room which were not seen so much with his older sub - sometimes more power will produce larger peaks but also deeper nulls.

It would help to map the rooms FR using an spl meter at the seating position. I had some major issues at 50hz (12dB peak) and between 65 - 80hz (large null) that I only realized I had when I got my SMS-1. The first was a cutting option (which can be done with the PEQ on the plus) and the second was cured (mainly) by adjusting the phase. For me, moving the sub was not a possibility.

Intermediate CFD sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Oct 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av AdrianMills
    Excuse me if I have this totally wrong - my Norwegian skills are really crap ops:
    Well.. The user have now solved the problem by adjusting the gain button
    Problem solved..

Expert Hellnoob sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Aug 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    I had some major issues at 50hz (12dB peak) and between 65 - 80hz (large null) that I only realized I had when I got my SMS-1. The first was a cutting option (which can be done with the PEQ on the plus) and the second was cured (mainly) by adjusting the phase. For me, moving the sub was not a possibility.
    My major "null" from 35-55hz (!) when using the front speakers (see graphs in my previous post) is effectively neutralized by the subs, so subs are part essential, part much more fun in my room :-)

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av CFD
    Well.. The user have now solved the problem by adjusting the gain button
    Problem solved..
    ops: Oh whoops. I missed that post.

That was a bit silly then.

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av Hellnoob
    My major "null" from 35-55hz (!) when using the front speakers (see graphs in my previous post) is effectively neutralized by the subs, so subs are part essential, part much more fun in my room :-)
    2x plus/2's in that room must be intense. I have more volume and only 1 plus/2 and it's still more than enough. Have you thought about cutting some of those peaks? I guess those graphs are taken of the sub and mains individually?

From the post (if I'm not mistaken) you run the L&R as large and send the LFE to both sub and speakers - have you a graph when both L&R and subs are playing. How are the 30 and 60Hz peaks then?

Expert Hellnoob sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Aug 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    2x plus/2's in that room must be intense. I have more volume and only 1 plus/2 and it's still more than enough. Have you thought about cutting some of those peaks? I guess those graphs are taken of the sub and mains individually?

From the post (if I'm not mistaken) you run the L&R as large and send the LFE to both sub and speakers - have you a graph when both L&R and subs are playing. How are the 30 and 60Hz peaks then?
    Only one of the Plus/2s has a PEQ - which I'm not using. There is really only one peak to be concerned about, and that is around 31,5hz. The PEQ is not very efficient for this particular peak, in my experience. Even -12dB PEQ adjustment isn't enough, and in addition it messes up the curve.

The upper chart shows the mains alone (light blue) and the other three graphs are subs and mains TOGETHER (mains as LARGE) at different sub-level settings (mastervolume on receiver Denon AVR-2807, which when listening to music is only used as DAC and mastervolume control for the subs, is -20dB). The pink is the one I'm using for music.

The main reason for having the mains as large when listening to music, is that they are driven by an integrated amp (the Bladelius Thor MKII), which is used as power amp when watching movies (it has a unity gain connection for this use).

The lower chart shows the mains for reference (again, light blue) and the other three graphs are the subs ALONE (without mains), just to show the LFE effect when watching movies. The yellow is the curve I'm experiencing when watching movies. I then use the mains as SMALL with a cut-off of 40hz. The LFE "cut-off" (which can be set separately on the Denon) is 120hz for movies (although the chart says 80hz).

In short: for music, the mains play all the way down, while the subs play up to 80hz. For movies, the mains play down to 40hz, where the subs take over, while the LFE plays up to 120hz.

The gain on the subs are 7 o'clock (primary sub in best position) and 9 o'clock (secondary sub in second best position), and with the master volume on -20dB and sub volume (in the receiver) on -6dB, both subs put out 80dB at 50hz (86dB together and 89dB together with the mains). The mains alone of course put out 80db @50hz with master volume on -20db. What are your gain and volume settings since you say you have more volume?

EDIT: posted too soon, left out some info, needed to correct some errors and add a question at the end :-)

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av Hellnoob
    The gain on the subs are 7 o'clock (primary sub in best position) and 9 o'clock (secondary sub at second best position), and with the master volume on -20dB and sub volume (in the receiver) on -6dB, both subs put out 80dB at 50hz (86dB together and 89dB together with the fronts). The fronts alone of course put out 80db @50hz with master volume on -20db. What are your gain and volume settings since you say you have more volume?
    For reference I have a Denon 4306 driving my B&W 804S biamped with the front and rear channels and a Bel Canto ref1000 mono driving my HTM3 center. The sub, as I said, is a Plus/2.

Gain on the sub is at 9 o'clock, and the receiver is set to 0dB on the LFE. The LFE is directed through an SMS-1 though with a default volume of 8 for music and 15 for HT - I've killed the 12dB peak that I mentioned earlier and a few smaller ones allowing for an overall louder volume that's not boomy.

Since I tuned the LFE with the SMS-1 I found that there is no problem setting all speakers to small and crossing over at 80hz - integration is pretty much seamless. The 804S are fairly rubbish below 80hz anyway to be honest.

Whoops missed this bit of info (it's one of those days) - if I rememeber correctly, at 50hz with a -20 on the receivers volume (which is my default on most things) I get around 76 to 80dB from my sub with my music settings on the SMS-1. That's fairly flat +/- 3dB from 80 to 20hz. The difference compared to when I had peaks is significant.

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Jan 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av lordlynx
    Har samme reciever og bruker SVS sub jeg og. Har merket samme problemet men det var når frontene stod som "large", når de er satt til "Small" så blir bass signalene sendt rett til SVS'n. Har btw også satt recieveren til å gi 2.5db extra til sub'n.
    Når jeg satte frontene til "small" så fikk jeg plutselig ikke velge sub dvs klammerene rundt sub forsvant. Selv om jeg bare har brukt auto set up på reciveren å ikke kalibrert sub'en spesifikt så synes jeg svs'en er vesentlig bedre en den gamle pioneeren som jeg hadde.

Side 2 av 2 FørsteFørste 1 2

Stikkord for denne tråden

Regler for innlegg

• Du kan ikke starte nye tråder
  • Du kan ikke svare på innlegg / tråder
  • Du kan ikke laste opp vedlegg
  • Du kan ikke redigere meldingene dine
  •