I Suffer from Delusions of Better Sound - Noe å tenke på?

Sponsorer:
Takk Takk:  0
Like Like:  0
Viser resultater 1 til 16 av 16
    Expert kenti sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Blogginnlegg
    Nevnt
    8 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)

I Suffer from Delusions of Better Sound - Noe å tenke på?

Leste nettopp en tråd på et annet hifi-forum, og tok meg frihet til å opprette en lik her mht linke-reglene på avforum. Dette var mange kloke ord, og sikkert noe enhver av oss kjenner igjen

Hello -- My Name is Brad and I Suffer from Delusions of Better Sound
    By Brad Mitchell
    bradmitchell@affordableaudio.org

I’m a recovering audiophile. Lately I’ve been wondering why I engage in this hobby. I’m constantly trying to improve the sound of my system. Well, what does “improving the sound” really mean? If you ask me what I want my system to sound like, I couldn’t tell you. And even if I could, my opinion would probably change tomorrow. It doesn’t matter, though, because the improvement in sound is secondary. Let's be honest -- it's the thrill of the hunt that gets the adrenaline pumping, isn’t it? We like to buy stuff. It’s the classic feeling of tension, euphoria, and then relaxation (think sex).

Audiophiles, like most other hobbyists, enjoy the "catch and release" phenomenon. We do things, not for the end goal
    (i.e., the best sound), because in audio, this is such an elusive pursuit. Instead, we're content with perpetual experimentation,
    not ultimate gratification.

There’s a logical impasse about high end audio components. We’ve heard many times that the gear should be independent of the sound; it should only produce the music as it is, and not add its own "signature sound." It follows, then, that every piece of high end gear should sound essentially the same! Of course, they don’t, but even if we stumbled upon truly “neutral” components, how would we know it? This lack of knowledge compels us to keep searching for the magical treasure that is buried underneath a rainbow of self-deception.

Here’s the stupidest thing of all -- we constantly compare the sound of audio systems to live music. If you listen to most live music, especially a rock concert, you’ll notice that it’s often difficult to clearly distinguish each instrument, and even more difficult to clearly hear the vocals. Nevertheless, it was great concert, wasn't it? A live performance is both a visual and auditory experience, and I dare say it is more stimulating visually than auditory because most live performances sound crappy. Stereo systems can never duplicate the emotional and visual effects of a live performance, so comparisons between live music and 2-channel audio is simply ridiculous.
    To get around this problem, the really smart audiophile will claim to desire tonal accuracy above all other considerations.

This argument falls flat, as well. When you listen to most types of music, you don't normally hear the tone of every instrument. Rather, you hear a blending of the instruments which is what makes the sound "musical." Musicality is measured by how hard you bob your head, tap your toe, play your air guitar, get up and boogie, and more importantly,
    how often you press the replay button. I popped in a poorly recorded CD last month and it sounded horrible. OK, so what did I do about it? I kept tweaking my system to make it sound better. That's crazy. It’s like spraying the bathroom with a fresh flowery aroma to cover up the stench of launching a couple of monstrous missiles from yesterday’s Mexican fiesta.

What’s even crazier is that even though I know it’s crazy, I'll still be making some more upgrades soon so I can continue ranting about how bad my good music sounds on my great system. And it doesn't stop with bad recordings. I try to make great recordings sound greater. For what? How great does great need to be in order for it to be great? What's greater than great? Then there’s the disillusioned audiophile who actually believes wholeheartedly in what we do because, “It’s all about the music.” In reality, most audiophiles know a lot more about gear than they know about music, yet we have the audacity to evaluate how music should sound. Some audiophiles couldn't tell you the difference between the sound of an oboe and a clarinet, but can wax poetically about the sonic improvement of the latest tweak we made. At least with other high end goods, the buyer is fully aware that their purchase is for the sake of vanity, whereas a typical audiophile will swear his purchase is to produce better sound of music of which he probably has little knowledge. That’s nuts.

Surely, I’m not the only one who has experienced audio psychosis. For those of you who are in denial of your obsessive behavior, below are some examples of crazy things audiophiles do. If you’ve done at least one of these, you’re a certified audio fool:

• Buy a CD, listen it to for a while, throw it away or sell it, then buy it back later because you think your upgraded system will make it sound better.

• Buy an amp you owned previously because it was better than the ten other amps you bought since then.
    A F F O R D A B L E $ $ A U D I O
    Affordable$$Audio 31

• Call your friends over to listen to our “new” system and it sounds like crap. Your friends walk away unimpressed, wondering why you spent a fortune on a system that they think doesn’t sound any better than their
    iPod.

• Tweak your system, rave about how good it sounds, and three days later remove the tweak because it actually made your system sound worse.

• You tell your wife that you don’t plan on upgrading anymore. A week later the UPS guy shows up at your doorstep with a new preamp.

• You make an impulsive purchase and regret it before the component arrives. Sure enough, it sucks, and you sell it as fast as you can.

• You get caught up in the “next great thing” because every audio forum is raving about it, but it sounds like dog poo and you kick yourself for being so gullible.

• You sell your amp to a friend, visit his house one day and the amp sounds great, then you’re pissed off for selling it.

• You demo a component for a week, like it a lot, then buy it. Within 24 hours it doesn’t sound as good anymore and you think about selling it. You’re afraid to return it because you don’t want the audio retailer to think you’re a whacko.

• You bought an expensive piece of equipment and expected a huge improvement, only to find that its replacement was better and it was only a fraction of the cost.

• You decide to downgrade your system and sell some of your gear. The excitement generated by the proceeds from the sale causes you to change your plans and buy more gear. Eventually, you end up spending more
    money on a system that doesn’t sound as good as the one you just sold.

• You’ve been changing out components for many years in the same room, only to finally realize that inexpensive acoustic panels made the biggest difference, by far.

• One day you wanted to show off your system, so a friend comes over with a few of his favorite CDs. Of course, they weren't well recorded, so you got frustrated, interrupted his listening session, and played some of your better recorded material so he could hear what he was missing. What a jerk! (I'm referring to you, not him.)
    So what’s the cure to this madness? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there isn’t one. The good news, however, is that once you’re infected, you’ll become so obsessed with finding the perfect sound that you won’t even realize the need to be cured. I guess this answers a question I’ve had for a long time – “Do crazy people know they’re crazy?”

OK, I lied. There’s only one thing you can do – build a good system and quit cold turkey. If you want to determine whether or not your system is good, there’s only one consideration – how does the music make you feel? Because any other pointless critique of your system merely masks the fact that you aren’t really enjoying your music. Once you can get your system finger poppin’ good, then quit while you’re ahead. Take up golf or photography. Audio is not the only hobby that will render you frustrated and confused, and drain your bank account.

Affordable$$Audio: The E-zine For Frugal Audio Enthusiasts

Expert Niels Nielsen sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Jun 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Jeg kjenner meg faktisk overhodet ikke igjen, men nå jobber jeg også i et firma der har "Nordic Common Sense" som slogan da....

Expert kenti sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Blogginnlegg
    Nevnt
    8 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Hva gjør du her da? Nei, hvis alt dette er helt ukjent for deg er jo ingenting bedre enn det..

Så, du jobber i hotellbransjen da skjønner jeg.

Expert Niels Nielsen sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Jun 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Korrekt.
    Nu har jeg løbt hornene av, er veldig mistroisk til alverdens reklamer om avsindige forbedringer, har andre prioriteringer også ja, og er generelt veldig veldig fornøyd med de komponenter jeg har hatt i 3 år.
    Hadde jeg hatt "ubegrensede" midler hadde min verden kanskje endret seg på det område, det henger jo sammen.....

Intermediate G|zO sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Sep 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Har mangeganger tenkt mye av de samme tankene som denne karen.

Har faktisk vært nære på å selge alt å kjøpe et satelitt system med subwoofer. Antaglig hadde jeg ikke blitt hverken mer eller mindre fornøyd, men bare en stund. Så hadde jeg oppgradert en del, så en del til, så må alt byttes. Den rund dansen kjenner vel de fleste seg igjen i?

Nei...de som kjøper "alt i et" stereo på elkjøp er vel de som er mest fornøyd

Intermediate Mirage sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Fantastisk bra
    Anlegget låter aldri så bra som når man sitter helt alene med en god cognac.

Intermediate mteinum sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av Mirage
    Fantastisk bra
    Anlegget låter aldri så bra som når man sitter helt alene med en god cognac.
    Da har det åpenbart forbedringspotensiale....

Newcomer oddemann sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    HeHe!

Her kjenner eg meg igjen som bare det.

Er pr dags dato meget nøgd med mitt oppsett, og håper det blir ståande. Sålangt i denne hobbyen har eit oppsett aldri hatt meir enn 6mnd levetid!

Medlem siden
    Nov 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Men, har er man på jakt etter? er det bare bytte for å bytte, endre lydsignatur, eller har man hørt noe som man selv prøver å oppnå?

For min del så sitter fulltone Coral som et hyggelig minne som jeg ønsker å realisere ved å bygge noen fostex horn.

Expert kenti sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Blogginnlegg
    Nevnt
    8 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av Niels Nielsen
    Korrekt.
    Nu har jeg løbt hornene av, er veldig mistroisk til alverdens reklamer om avsindige forbedringer, har andre prioriteringer også ja, og er generelt veldig veldig fornøyd med de komponenter jeg har hatt i 3 år.
    Hadde jeg hatt "ubegrensede" midler hadde min verden kanskje endret seg på det område, det henger jo sammen.....
    Ja, det du sier gir fornuft. Føler selv at jeg også begynner å lande litt i forhold til selve utstyrskabalen, i hvertfall på noen områder. Helt ferdig er jeg nok ikke, men jeg er nok mer reflektert i forhold til hva jeg foretar meg nå enn tidligere.

Sitat Opprinnelig postet av mteinum
    Men, har er man på jakt etter? er det bare bytte for å bytte, endre lydsignatur, eller har man hørt noe som man selv prøver å oppnå?
    Det er nok mange grunner til at vi bytter. At det er moro med nytt utstyr, faktisk mer moro enn selve julaften mange ganger (guilty as charged), er det ingen tvil om. Men jeg tror jeg følgende setning er svært sentral, sitat: "If you ask me what I want my system to sound like, I couldn’t tell you. And even if I could, my opinion would probably change tomorrow."

Mange bytter i jakten på "godlyden" eller leter etter lydidealet sitt, og det er det jo lite galt i. Problemet er at man ofte ikke vet hva dette er. Man lander kanskje innom visse oppsett og kombinasjoner som fungerer bra, men oppdager kanskje noe annet som faller enda bedre i smak. Det kan være på en butikkdemo, en messe, en kompis, et avtreff etc. Så lager man seg nye mål, osv osv. Og sånn går dagan.

Etter hvert, etter å ha prøvd både det ene og det andre, kjenner man sannsynligvis seg selv bedre og vet kanskje mer hva man vil ha. Man skjønner også at det ikke alltid er utstyret som er grunnen til at det ikke låter helt slik man vil.

Guru Tiger sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Sep 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    My sant i hans betraktninger.

Denne er litt god:
    You get caught up in the “next great thing” because every audio forum is raving about it, but it sounds like dog poo and you kick yourself for being so gullible.

Expert
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2007
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Denne også, Tiger:

• You bought an expensive piece of equipment and expected a huge improvement, only to find that its replacement was better and it was only a fraction of the cost.

Medlem siden
    Nov 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Det virker som det er en lov som sier at dersom du skal ha en lineær forbedring i ytelse så går prisen tilsvarende opp logaritmisk...

Medlem siden
    Nov 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av mteinum
    Da har det åpenbart forbedringspotensiale....
    Den må du nesten utdype.

Anlegget mitt er ikke godt nok fordi det, etter en lang uke når jeg endelig kan slappe av, gir meg roen?

Medlem siden
    Nov 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    hehe, det var en spøk

Alkohol eller ikke, det er nok stor sannsynlighet at ting låter bedre når man har ro i kroppen og kan slappe av kontra mas og stress.

Medlem siden
    Nov 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Hehe, okei, tok den ikke Føy på en "" neste gang

Stikkord for denne tråden

Regler for innlegg