Nov 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)

Satellite HDTV via HTPC works :)

Well, I don't know about you, but that was really news to me.

In order to see sattelite signal via HTPC you need to have STB tuner connected via LAN to PC. I used Dreambox, not sure if any other tuner can be connected so easily via LAN. Then you need VLC player, you can get from this page:
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    So if you have dreambox, you can follow next steps.
    1.Open web interface to your dreambox (use IP address of your dreambox)
    2. Select channel sending HDTV. I used HD Forum on Hotbird, other channels are on Astra 19,2E: Euro1080, AstraHD and Pro7 (they only sometimes send signal in HDTV)
    3. On the top right side of you window there is a V PID information for selected channel. Press on it. It should suggest to save *.pls file. Save it on PC drive
    4. Open saved pls file with VLC player. WOW

Other option, of course, is to save material into dreambox HDD, transfer ts files to your pc and then open with vlc. When you select a channel in dreambox it will not show picture, as dreambox is not able to handle HDTV. However save material and after transfer to pc you can see a picture. Have tried that as well.

I have slow pc at the moment (2 GHz) so the picture breaks every two seconds. Same happens with direct view and saved material on dreambox HDD later transferred to PC. So LAN is not a bottleneck. I have read on net that 3,2 MHz shows picture without breaking. Also material that is being send via this channel is not the most interesting... But the quality or the picture. Can't wait to build a new pc with more power. Hope that somebody with faster PC and maybe even projector, can test it and report result.

Intermediate DrErling sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Oct 2003
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Hmmm, dette må jeg prøve! Ikke at jeg har noe annet enn 32" CRT tv enda, men slikt må testes uansett!

DrE

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    PC Screen should give an idea. Let us know the result,

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    What is the bottleneck for HDTV viewing. Once I recorded HD Forum channel, and opened it on PC, it says resolution 1920 X 1080. Pretty big.... And it doesn't show perfectly all the time. Picture stops for a blink of a second, you can see some squeres of picture frozen on the screen, then again perfect viewing for next two seconds...

Anyway. Is it a CPU, RAM, video card that works hardest on reproducing picture on my screen? I think CPU since VLC player was using all available system resources. IF you want to hook up projector to view this wonderfull quality picture, will then video card be a bottleneck to reproduc the picture?

Intermediate Rikky sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2002
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Er det .ts-filer du spiller av? Jeg har spilt av 1080i uten problemer ved å aktivere hardware acceleration i PowerDVD 6 på en Pentium 4 2.53. Har ikke testet VLC, dessverre.

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Tried both .ts files and then converted it to m2v with projectX. M2V played better, than .ts, but it was without sound and conversion takes time of course. Another interesting thing was that after conversion video file was bit less than 600MB from 1 GB .ts file. Usually on 720X576 resolution .ts files, the size does not go down that much. Is it some quality loss?

Will try winDVD 6 tonight. Where is hardware acceleration option there?

Did you try on projector? How does that look?

Intermediate Rikky sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2002
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av ajocius
    Where is hardware acceleration option there?
    Configuration->video.

Jeg har prøvd med projektor, men kun med XGA-oppløsning, som tilsvarer 1024*576 i 16:9. Skikkelig HD ser likevel mye bedre ut enn DVD.

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Will try that. Since CPU was 100% loaded already (mine is 2 GHz only) I am skeptical, but will try.

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2002
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    An easier way to watch HDTV on your HTPC is to install a DVB-S card in your HTPC. I use a Skystar II card, and watch HDTV without breakups from eg. Astra-HD. Skystar II does not have a CI-interface, so I can only watch FTA-channels. HTPC is a P4C 3.0 @ 3.4GHz. I`m using Dvbportal to watch HDTV. Video codec is Nvidia. I`ve also tried VLC, but so far I can`t get the video deinterlaced. It can be done, but yet I don`t know how.

Interesting that the Dreambox can be used this way. Do you know if you can get an Euro1080 subscription, and use it with the Dreambox?

Gunnar

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Not sure if you can use original Euro1080 card in Dreambox.

Your solution is atractive. However if you use satellite receiver already, it would require to change LNB to twin LNB. With Dreambox, you don't need that, since signal goes via LAN cable. There are other nice things Dreambox does, so I think it is very attractive product. My ideal solution would be to have in living room Dreambox, HTPC and good receiver. That should be enough to watch TV news on TV, film on "lerret" and listen to music with the same set of equipment. I know this is not the best enviroment for top film viewing, but I don't have separate room for it...

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Kan bekrefte at det funkerer bra, streamer fint HD-Forum og Pro Sieben HD fra Dreamboxen til VLC på HTPCen. Har også tatt opp endel HD med Dreamboxen for så å føre det over til PCen.

Har også et Skystar2.3 i HTPCen, HD funker der også med MyTheatre og PowerDVD6 filtre til dekoding. CPU belastning er 25% på en Athlon XP-M 2400@2400Mhz.

Til avspilling kan jeg anbefale Media Player Classic med MainConcept splitter og Cyberlink PowerDVD 6 Video decoder. Det spiller alle TS filer jeg har i alle fall.

HT

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2002
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Har du noe tips for oppsett av VLC? Har tittet i div dokumenter, og finner forsåvidt settinger for deinterlacing. Dessverre får jeg det ikke til å fungere, og det ser grusomt ut så snart det er litt bevegelse i bildet.

Vet du om det er mulig å kjøpe programkort for Euro1080?

Gunnar

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Deinterlace i VLC:
    Høyreklikk i bildet og velg Deinterlace og type deinterlacing.
    Mener jeg brukte "Linear" for HD avspilling.

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2002
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Grr.. var det såååå enkelt...

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Discard method under deinterlace works much better at least on my pc. Linear looses quality when there is a lot of movement on the screen. On the other hand workd discard does not encourage me to use it. Sounds like it discards something. Could that be every second line?

By the way do you know how to save selected deinterlace method. Every time I restart VLC it is lost.

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2002
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Right clicking didn`t work. No option for deinterlacing. Maybe I`m missing a plugin or something?

Gunnar

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2004
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    You have to right click on the picture when broadcasting from Dreambox has already started. Try using the latest version of VLC. I have not installed any plugins for that option to be visible.

Stikkord for denne tråden

Regler for innlegg

• Du kan ikke starte nye tråder
  • Du kan ikke svare på innlegg / tråder
  • Du kan ikke laste opp vedlegg
  • Du kan ikke redigere meldingene dine
  •