Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)
    Video Blog: ‘Transformers: Dark of the Moon’ 3D Presentation With Michael Bay and James Cameron | /Film

On Wednesday night, I attended a presentation on the Paramount Pictures lot called “3D: A Transforming Visual Art – a conversation with Michael Bay and James Cameron“. I has expected going into the presentation that it would be an evangelical sale of the future of 3D filmmaking, but it was nothing of the sort. Michael Bay was as honest as you can get, explaining how everything and anything can, and did, go wrong while shooting his movie with Cameron’s 3D camera rigs. To every critique, Cameron had a quick rebuttal about how the issues have since been fixed with the newer digital video cameras or how solutions are just around the corner. Cameron was also honest, admitting that 3D filmmaking is still in the early stages, and it will only get better — smaller cameras, lighter rigs, requiring less techs on set, and a more streamlined post production process. The easier it is for filmmakers to use the tools, the better they will be able to creatively employ them.

I have also been a strong supporter of digital 3D filmmaking. After Avatar, movie studios jumped at an opportunity and shot out a bunch of crappy post 3D conversions. Bay calls those films “bullshit 3D” and Cameron said that some studios are “trying to wedge [3D] into post production like its a sound mix.” So for a while now, I’ve drawn a line between movies shot in 3D and those movies converted to 3D after the fact. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was the first film to make me question myself. Pirates 4 was shot in 3D and it felt just as unnecessary as the post conversion on Thor. Was I wrong about 3D?

Tonight’s presentation which put everything back into perspective. The 3D in Michael Bay’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon appears not to be an afterthought. Each frame is composed to take advantage of the depth — it is a film the begs to be seen only on the big screen, and yes, in 3D. It has become clear to me that the filmmaker has to be on board to make a 3D film work. It takes a whole new set of creative decisions to create valuable 3D — a 3D camera rig isn’t enough. And when it works, it is an experience unlike all the other movies at the multiplex.

Tonight I screened the first five minutes of the film, a new 3D trailer, and long montage of clips — probably something like 20 minutes in total. From the limited amount of footage I have screened, I am already convinced that this is the first movie since Avatar to really take advantage of the 3D medium. As for the technology, this is only the beginning. Right now filmmakers have to adapt their process to the 3D camera rigs, and the new technology fails more than you would want — but its going to get better. At the same time, filmmakers are going to find creative ways to harness the new depth for emotional storytelling results.

We were not allowed to record video or audio of the conversation, although I’ve heard that clips will go online later this week, and the full thing will be up next week. After the presentation I recorded a video blog with Frosty from Collider. We talk about the footage we screened from Transformers: Dark of the Moon, the conversation between Bay and Cameron on the topic of 3D and more. You can watch that now embedded below: Link
    En annen interessant videoblog:
    [YOUTUBE]36UuXUluSG4[/YOUTUBE]

Dependent harman/kardon sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Apr 2005
    Sted
    Nord-Trøndelag
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Kommer den nye X-men filmen i 3D da tro ?

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av harman/kardon
    Kommer den nye X-men filmen i 3D da tro ?
    Nope.

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    En av de kjedeligste trailere ever!:

[YOUTUBE]xP7cQnOcU7I[/YOUTUBE]
    ¨Gjeeesp

Helt utrolig at det er samme regissør bak Bram Stoker's Dracula!

Intermediate dvdjan sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2002
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av erikaur
    En av de kjedeligste trailere ever!:

Helt utrolig at det er samme regissør bak Bram Stoker's Dracula!
    Ja hvis denne ikke kommer i 3D da vet ikke jeg

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Det er bekreftet at Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters filmes i 3D.

Den har premiere på norske kinoer 2. mars 2012. (samme som i USA)

Med et budsjett på 375 millioner kroner, fullt 3D-apparat og amerikanske actionstjerner som Gemma Arterton og Jeremy Renner i hovedrollene, er Tommy Wirkolas «Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters»-prosjekt tidenes største for en norsk regissør.

«Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters» er skrevet av den norske «Død snø»-regissøren selv, og er et actioneventyr for voksne om Hans og Grete fra de tyske folkeeventyrene.

– Det jeg var mest nervøs for da vi leverte inn manuset, var at studioet skulle gjøre det om til en «PG-13»-film, altså gi den lavere aldersgrense. Jeg har vært litt opptatt av det. Men heldigvis har de vært veldig klare på at de vil ha en voldelig film, og når det kommer til hvor mørk eller drøy humor man kan ha, så har de heller ikke hatt noe å utsette. De støtter min visjon.

Nå hopper Wirkola av - DN.no

– Hans og Grete, 15 år etter, det høres litt cheesy og gimmickaktig ut, men jeg vil påstå at... Jeg tror folk vil bli overrasket, sier han.

– I forhold til «Død snø» har den mer kjøtt på benet, mer story og karakterer, som amerikanere er veldig opptatt av. Og tenk på det: Hvor ofte ser du egentlig at forholdet mellom to søsken er det drivende motivet i en film?

Andre kjente på rollelisten: Famke Janssen, Peter Stormare, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, Bjørn Sundquist, Stig Frode Henriksen.

Verden får se Sundquist i 3D - Troms og Finnmark - NRK Nyheter

– Min karakter heter Jackson og han lever av jakt og fiske. Karakteren er en kjentmann, som kjenner landskapet hvor heksene holder til og hjelper Hansel og Gretel i jakten på dem, forteller Sundquist til avisen.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters – Story Spoilers Revealed! | SciFi Mafia [Spoiler Alert]

STEREOTEC is proud to announce that Paramount chose STEREOTEC to do the live action 3D portion on the big Hollywood production: "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" with Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton! The stereography was done by lead Stereographer Florian Maier together with his STEREOTEC team and two Mid Size rigs with ARRI Alexa cameras. A detailed press release will follow soon!

Erfaren Stereograf
    STEREOTEC Stereoscopic Technologies GmbH - 3D Products | 3D Rigs | 3D Consulting

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    MarketSaw - THE HOBBIT Shooting At 48 Frames Per Second!

Spennende med 48 fps 3D!

MarketSaw - CinemaCon 2011: WOW. Spectacular Demonstration Of Higher Frame Rates By James Cameron

You have to see it to believe it. I was floored when I saw the higher frame rate demo footage that Cameron made exclusively for this engagement (but will be made available for theater owners for testing purposes). All of it was in 3D of course!

Cameron and his team of contributors built a set, hired actors and a crew to create a medieval banquet scene as well as a sword fight scene to illustrate a fairly elaborate test of 24 frames per second vs. 48 and 60.

He enlisted TITANIC director of photography Russell Carpenter who used Red Epics, Arri Alexas, Phantom Flex high speed cameras (for outstanding slow motion) and of course the Pace / Cameron 3D system.

Cameron clearly pointed out that all of these tests were shot in 2K, not 4K and with good reason: The lowest hanging fruit to harvest a better cinematic experience is NOT 4K projection, but rather increased frame rate as most existing second gen digital projectors can do this.

Not to say we don't want to see both happen as soon as possible, but one step at a time!

I must say that the motion artifacts and strobing that were very present in the 24 fps panning (this is what we have been seeing EVERY time we go to the movies for a very long time) disappeared for the most part with 48 fps and were completely gone with 60. The result was dramatic and exceeded my expectations! The realism was amazing. It all really came together in the action scenes: The swordplay underscored the realism. Action movies will truly benefit from this approach to projection - like AVATAR 2!

One of the major points of the presentation was that all of this can be done with existing generation 2 digital projector equipment with only slight software modifications. That was driven home to the theater owners quite well. And so with neglible costs it becomes much more attractive to the owners to implement. A better picture brings the audience back in droves.
    CinemaCon: James Cameron Demos the Future of Cinema at 60 FPS « FirstShowing.net

I've seen the future of digital cinema and it's 60FPS.
    I attended a great presentation at CinemaCon late last week that was essentially the leader of the movie industry sharing with the leaders of the movie theater industry a brief glimpse at what the future of movies will be like. James Cameron presented a tech demo - he shot footage four weeks ago - to the industry to show the difference between 24FPS (the typical shooting framerate) and both 48 and 60FPS in 3D. One word: wow.

Cameron confirmed that in order for theaters to be able to use/show 48 or 60FPS, all they would need is a software upgrade to any existing "Generation 2" projectors - those manufacturer in 2010 and beyond. So most digital cinemas are already capable of running these framrates, it's just a matter of making them the norm. Cameron emphasized that the future of projection is not yet pushing the resolution above and beyond 4K, but rather improving framerates and light output first.

Cameron shot a series of basic scenes with Titanic DP Russell Carpenter on a simple medieval set, using some of the most troublesome camera movements (pans and sweeps) that cause the dreaded "strobing" or flickering effect, which is especially evident in 3D.
    He shot his scenes (one a feast at a dinner table, the other sword fight action scene) in 24, 48 and 60, and in 3D, and showed them back-to-back to give us a direct comparison between each one.

All the action, not only from the actors in the scene, but the camera movements themselves, were unbelievably smooth. There was no flickering and it was easy to remain focused on all of the important elements of the screen, even as they moved in and out of focus.

As Cameron explained at one point, if watching 3D in cinemas is like looking through a window - making the jump to 60FPS was removing that window. And that was true and in cinema, not many have been able to see that yet. Just wait until you actually get that opportunity - your jaw will drop as well.
    Peter Jackson Talks at Length About Using 48FPS for 'The Hobbit' « FirstShowing.net

"We are indeed shooting at the higher frame rate. The key thing to understand is that this process requires both shooting and projecting at 48 fps, rather than the usual 24 fps (films have been shot at 24 frames per second since the late 1920's). So the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok--and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years--but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements, and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or 'strobe.'"

"Shooting and projecting at 48 fps does a lot to get rid of these issues. It looks much more lifelike, and it is much easier to watch, especially in 3-D.
    We've been watching HOBBIT tests and dailies at 48 fps now for several months, and we often sit through two hours worth of footage without getting any eye strain from the 3-D. It looks great, and we've actually become used to it now, to the point that other film experiences look a little primitive. I saw a new movie in the cinema on Sunday and I kept getting distracted by the juddery panning and blurring. We're getting spoilt!"

We are hopeful that there will be enough theaters capable of projecting 48 fps by the time The Hobbit comes out where we can seriously explore that possibility with Warner Bros. However, while it's predicted that there may be over 10,000 screens capable of projecting THE HOBBIT at 48 fps by our release date in Dec, 2012, we don’t yet know what the reality will be. It is a situation we will all be monitoring carefully. I see it as a way of future-proofing THE HOBBIT. Take it from me--if we do release in 48 fps, those are the cinemas you should watch the movie in. It will look terrific!"

James Cameron supercharges 3-D - Entertainment News, NAB / Digital Cinema, Media - Variety

Perceived resolution = pixels x replacement rate. A 2K image at 48 frames per second looks as sharp as a 4K image at 24 frames per second ... with one fundamental difference: the 4K/24 image will judder miserably during a panning shot, and the 2K/48 won't.

Exclusive interview: James Cameron on 3D: the TechRadar interview | 3D Radar - 3D news and reviews
    When I went to Show West in 2005 and showed 3D and said this is the future, there was a lot of sniggering and scepticism – even though it turned out to be the case," said Cameron to TechRadar.

When I showed them high frame rate, however, I did a compelling demonstration, showing the same shot at 24, 48, 60 and so forth and the response was immediate. The exhibitors just got it and understood that this was something they could do quickly, that would be inexpensive.

It seems to be gathering more momentum than 3D and by the time that I do release the next Avatar in four years it is going to be all over the shop. Something like 50 people would have done it and Peter Jackson looks like the one to break the ice.
    Christie and James Camerons Lightstorm Entertainment Develop Next-Generation 3D Cinema Technology | 3Droundabout

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Ny Tintin trailer:
    [YOUTUBE]fVptaVluGJw[/YOUTUBE]

Intermediate orso sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Nov 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    4 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Veldig interessant å lese om høyere film frame rate. Takk for infoen. Er det noe håp om det dagens TV skjermer kan oppgraderes til dette?

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av orso
    Veldig interessant å lese om høyere film frame rate. Takk for infoen. Er det noe håp om det dagens TV skjermer kan oppgraderes til dette?
    Vet ikke. Noen som vet?

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    To 3D Or Not To 3D: Buy The Right Hugo Ticket - CinemaBlend.com

When 3D is used poorly, and especially when it's post-converted, the action can move so fast that your eye can't follow it in both dimensions, and it can make you sense. Using expertly crafted 3D Hugo doesn't have this problem.

Final Verdict: This is the only perfect score I've given in To 3D or Not To 3D.
    The 3D in Hugo isn't just masterfully executed, and it doesn't just enhance every beautiful shot in the film. It's integral to understanding the film, the way it hearkens back to the earliest days of cinema, the way it talks about magic tricks and new technology as new ways of telling cinematic stories. Martin Scorsese probably understands movies better than anyone on earth, and he's proven that 3D can be as important as color or CGI. You owe it to yourself to see how well he proves it.
    Hugo | Movie Reviews | Rolling Stone

I will say that in Scorsese's hands, 3D becomes an art. With the help of the gifted cinematographer Robert Richardson and editor supreme Thelma Schoonmaker, Scorsese sweeps us headlong into the action as Hugo runs rings around the stationmaster (a hilarious Sacha Baron Cohen) and sneaks us into the station's secret corridors and inside the clock, with its jaw-dropping view of Paris.
    FirstShowing.net

I just saw Hugo in 3D tonight and I thought it was absolutely magnificent, especially the 3D. Scorsese crafted a spectacular world and the way he used 3D as part of the storytelling and atmosphere (so much steam!) is awe-inspiring, I was truly stunned by the visuals throughout.
    WeAreMovieGeeks.com

Wow. It seems only yesterday that I was bemoaning having to don the big glasses and watch another film in 3D. It seemed that it was turning into a tired gimmick. It was an extra cost for films that needed an extra push. And then there’s the films converted to 3D after being shot with standard cameras. I couldn’t recall all the 3D movies I’d seen this past year. And then a master shows us how it’s done.
    Hugo :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

Not long ago, I saw a 3-D children's film about penguins. I thought it was a simpleminded use of the medium. Scorsese uses 3-D here as it should be used, not as a gimmick but as an enhancement of the total effect.
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av James Cameron
    The best 3-D photography I've seen
    [YOUTUBE]G1J9wsUAinM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kR86Pjc0YCY[/YOUTUBE]

Hugo - Rotten Tomatoes
    Hugo (2011) - News

Intermediate
    Medlem siden
    Jul 2006
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt