Apr 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)

CAV A8M amplifier

Hi there! It seems - from Google results - that some of you, AVforum.no users have this monstrous amplifier. Would you please let me know your opinion about it? I also found a test here, if anyone could translate its summary to English, that would help a lot. Thanks in advance!

2. Liker Administrator har likt denne posten
    Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Mar 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

Translation.

"This is a solid, wellbuilt and wellsounding machine, that will work perfect as a central in a good AV-system. You will get both a six channel amplifier and a converter of digital moviesound. The sound quality of this amplifier, as this test mainly has been consentrated on, is equally, if not even better than , an almost as expensive two-channel amplifier. We therefore have to say that this represent an exeptionally good price to quality ratio."

I don`t have it myself, but here is the summary translated.
    Hope you can get something more details somwhere else:?

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Apr 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sitat Opprinnelig postet av Jockscott99
    "This is a solid, wellbuilt and wellsounding machine, that will work perfect as a central in a good AV-system. You will get both a six channel amplifier and a converter of digital moviesound. The sound quality of this amplifier, as this test mainly has been consentrated on, is equally, if not even better than , an almost as expensive two-channel amplifier. We therefore have to say that this represent an exeptionally good price to quality ratio."

I don`t have it myself, but here is the summary translated.
    Hope you can get something more details somwhere else:?
    Thansk a lot!

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Apr 2008
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    hello.

I just bought this Cav a8m. And i just bought som new loudspeakers could Patos Symphonic II AMT. And it playes greate all ready just been listning for som hours. I think in some weeks it really gone play like million dollars.
    The price you pay for Cav a8m, its so sheap, you cant get better for money, even lots more expensive dosent have that kin ed of powers. Some of the owners of the cav, says they got some problems with some noice, like a little wind. I dont get any problems with my cav. I think that happens some times because of baed wires or the elektric in the house is old.

I will just say. Run and buy.

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2010
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

CAV A8M

I have 4 of these A8M 's ! They are just amazing!

I use two of them as Effect Amplifiers with a Rotel RSP-1098 Processor unit.

One is a standalone surround receiver, and the last is a spare just in case. (I never want to be without one)

First off: what drives the price down on the amp's is the following. When it has a optical line in source and the amp is soft powered off, when it receives a signal from the optical source it powers it self on. (strategically often in the night) this means you either need to hard power it off, or turn off the source! Very easy and obvious fix. When used as a 5 channel effect amplifier, it does not have this issue.

Secondly: the noise people are mentioning is a constant. It will give a little "wind" noise but at a very low dB. This only applies to when it is on and not playing! You can not hear ANY noise once it is playing. It doesn't bother me! My wife on the other hand mentioned it a couple times. It is no more then much other reference expensive equipment gives off.

If you want the pure muscle and Hi-end qualities this amp offers, use on or two of them as effect amp. I chose the Rotel RSP-1098 for obvious reasons. The black / silver finish matches the CAV, and sound quality is immaculate. If you want newer HDMI switching offers, any surround receiver with pre-out will do. The Rotel RSP is also offed without the 7" LCD monitor ( RSP-1068 ) I am only sure of one major difference, the 1098 offers two Spdif Optical Out, as the 1068 only has one.

As a stand alone Surround receiver it will satisfy all as long as you don't need HDMI throughput or switching on the amp. This option by the way, has absolutely nothing to do with Hi-end reference sound, and personally I'd rather do without! I am glad it is just what it is and no more!

The price new in Norway was 18.000 NOK. This is approximately 2250 Euro's or USD $3000
    It was worth twice that new.
    After they got some complaints about the "noise" issue, people not understanding the manual to adjust the channels and enable the Sub woofer output, and the randomly turning on issue, the price was dumped to wholesale. This complaint was obviously from people who would be better off owning a food processor amp like Kenwood. Price after duming: 12-13.000 NOK.

The price used now runs around 6.000 NOK ( 750 Euro or USD $1000 ) and it is worth every penny and more. In pristine condition I think it is worth 8.000 NOK used.

If you choose to use it as a stand alone amp it is a 6,1.web SAM_3360.jpg

If you chose to use it as an effect amp, it will offer only 5 channels, ans you must use the 5,1 RCA input ( minus the ,1 for sub, as you processor will connect directly to it )

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Feb 2010
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback

Intermediate Revox sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Dec 2004