Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    (0% positive tilbakemeldinger)

Advice about Norwegian power system

Hello Forum!

I just moved to Oslo and I absolutely love it here. The only trouble I am finding is how to deal with the power system here.

Firstly the apartment we ended up getting only has the older wiring (un-grounded plugs throughout). Then secondly I have a curious issue with my step down transformers for use with my North American a/v equipment.

On my 2,000W voltage converter, my tester keeps telling me that the phase and neutral are inverted. However, on my 500W voltage converter, it shows that everything is fine. Of course this is when plugged into a grounded plug.

After some research, I found that the reason is because the Norwegian system consists of two 'live' legs and no neutral. This means that two legs are are about 115v with respect to ground and 230v with respect to each other.

So the question is now, has any one here been using a step down transformer on their equipment with the old Norwegian wiring and no ground? I believe that the system in use at my apartment is described here: IT-nett - Wikipedia

Thanks in advance.

Intermediate ChrisHesby sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Mar 2005
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Hey. Welcome to the forum. Have you measured that an IT system you have in your apartment?

And the converter that shows that the phase and neutral are reversed? Or have you measured it yourself?

And have you tested both of converters in the same outlet? And tried to turn the plug 180 degrees?

(Translated by Google Translate)
    Focal JMlab Electra 926 | Focal Sib XL | SVS SB-2000 | Yamaha RX-V1800 | Emotiva XPA-2 | Sharp LC-70LE747E

Newcomer
    Medlem siden
    Jun 2012
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Thanks for your response Chris. After careful consideration, I decided to ditch any power conditioning devices that I had that used 110v and just simply use the step down transformer. I have the TV, and Subwoofer in a 2000W transformer and the AV Receiver etc in the other 2000W transformer and it seems to all work OK. I can hear them during quiet times but other than that it is OK.

Newcomer WALL-E sin avatar
    Medlem siden
    Jan 2011
    Poster
    Takk & like
    Nevnt
    0 post(er)
    AVtorget feedback
    Sist endret av WALL-E; 11-15-2013 kl 23:48
    Min HiFi:
    .....finner Du på "MinHiFi"